St Peter's Church of England First School is committed to providing a secure environment for pupils, where children feel safe and are kept safe. All adults recognise that safeguarding is everyone's responsibility irrespective of the role they undertake or whether their role has direct contact or responsibility for children or not.
We use the following accepted Governmental definition of extremism which is:
'Vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs; and/or calls for the death of members of our armed forces, whether in this country or overseas'.
Aims of our Policy
- There is no place for extremist views of any kind, whether from internal sources — pupils, staff or governors, or external sources - school community, external agencies or individuals.
- Our pupils see our school as a safe place where they can explore controversial issues safely and where our teachers encourage and facilitate this.
- As an academy we recognise that extremism and exposure to extremist materials and influences can lead to poor outcomes for children and so should be addressed as a safeguarding concern. We also recognise that if we fail to challenge extremist views we are failing to protect our pupils.
- We will provide a broad and balanced curriculum, delivered by skilled professionals, so that our pupils are enriched, understand and become tolerant of difference and diversity and also to ensure that they thrive, feel valued and not marginalized.
- Any prejudice, discrimination or extremist views, including derogatory language, displayed by pupils or staff will always be challenged and where appropriate dealt with in line with our Behaviour Policy for pupils and the Code of Conduct for staff. Where misconduct by a teacher is proven the matter will be referred to the Local Area Designated Officer, The National College for Teaching and Leadership or the Police for their consideration as to whether to a Prohibition Order is warranted.